Friday, December 11, 2009

A University President, an Ambassador and a CEO walk into a bar...

So last night I ended up going to an event I never thought I'd be invited to.... an AUC alumni gathering in Bahrain.

I have to admit.... it was very bizarre standing elbow to elbow with President Arnold and his charming wife Sherri (I think that's how it's spelt!).  To my surprise quite a few of the heavy hitters of the region were there (CEO's of regional banks, the head of SABIC and the US Ambassador).

All this made me wonder whether in 20 years time a gathering of the people who graduated in my decade will be anywhere near as successful, or have anywhere near the amount of skills necessary to do something productive in their lives.

Based of the people that populated 98% of my classes, my verdict right now is no.

So I walked into this event (absolutely dreading it), expecting there to be a long drawn out speech about how important it is for alumni to give back to the university, and how amazing it is now, and how we're the best in the region blah blah blah, and I don't know whether it was the cold air, failing mic, or that half the people at the dinner were hit hard by the recession, but he kept it short, and for that all I can say is Thank you God.

An with that, may the fundraising continue... far far away from Bahrain.
Thanks for listening to my rants you guys...
LG.

No comments:

Post a Comment